Monday, October 8, 2018

Dialogue Tracks on Soundtracks

  If you are a huge fan of Lady Gaga, you probably already know that the soundtrack for A Star Is Born contains dialogue tracks. As a matter of fact 14 of the 34 tracks on this soundtrack consist of dialogue tracks. Dialogue tracks have no place on a soundtrack album at all.
  First off dialogue tracks ruin the listening experience of the soundtrack. They interrupt the chain and flow of the songs. First you hear a song and then wham, you start to hear talking, I like my soundtracks to contain zero dialogue tracks on them. I am a film score aficionado and I like to hear the instrumental music, I didn't pay for a CD to listen to talking, I bought it to listen to the film score. I didn't buy the Academy Award Winning score for The Hateful Eight because it contained dialogue tracks. I usually try to buy the Oscar for Best Original Score winners on CD but having dialogue tracks is a no-no for me.
 On a side note I do own two of The Simpsons soundtracks and they do contain a ton of dialogue tracks on them. Some of the song tracks have dialogue before the song starts. I'm not a fan of that at all but if I wanted to hear dialogue from The Simpsons, I would just go watch it on TV. But that's my opinion on that.
  I also have The Brave Little Toaster soundtrack by David Newman. Unfortunately however two of the score tracks contain dialogue on them. If I remember correctly Percepto Records didn't have the isolated instrumental score tracks available to them without dialogue on them. I don't understand why they couldn't have just rerecorded those two score cues so they wouldn't have the dialogue on them. Is it that hard to rerecord 2 measly score cues. It's annoying but I tend to drown out the dialogue whenever I listen to The Brave Little Toaster soundtrack.
  If I want to hear dialogue on a CD I would just go buy a spoken word album instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment