Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Barmes & Noble is Overpriced

  Yesterday I went into Barnes & Noble with my mom. She went to look at books for her library wish list and I went to look at CDs and DVDs. While looking at the score soundtracks, I happened to notice that Barnes & Noble's prices are no worse than FYE's prices.
  Why would their prices on CDs and DVDs be so expensive? I asked myself the same question. They are a large retailer, and they have great buying power, so they must have the power to sell CDs and DVDs at little markup. For instance their Blu-Ray prices are out of control. I saw the Blu-Ray for Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory there once and they wanted $34.99 for it. I don't know if they still want that for it. But I know I can get it cheaper on Amazon.com. I just checked the price on Amazon.com and found some third party sellers selling it for $16.95.
  Paying $20 for a single disc soundtrack is outrageous. I would never pay that kind of money for a damn soundtrack unless it was a limited edition of lets say 2,000 copies. I know the CD/DVD section of Barnes & Noble is minuscule compared to the rest of the store that sells books. There are some advantages to Barnes & Noble over stores like Walmart. I'll compare and contrast Barnes & Noble and Walmart. Barnes & Noble sells hard to find DVDs and soundtracks, and sells Parental Advisory CDs. Walmart on the other hand sells censored CDs and almost no score soundtracks, and doesn't carry British TV shows and Movies, Documentaries, and most TV shows on DVD unless you go to Walmart.com because they sell more items that are not sold in the store. Also Walmart tends to be a lot cheaper. I rarely buy CDs or DVDs at Barnes & Noble because of their prices, I do however buy books, like the Imponderables series, which are Question and Answer books. So Buy online if you don't like to get ripped off.

No comments:

Post a Comment