Thursday, July 5, 2018

I Finally Got Public Enemy Number 1.

  I'm a Hot Wheels collector among many things. For years there was one car that has eluded me. You see ever since I first saw the Mercedes 300TD Collector # 606 from 1997 in a book, I've always wanted that car. I love station wagons so having this car in my collection made sense. This car isn't like other Hot Wheels cars. Why is that? Well for one thing, this wagon isn't technically a Hot Wheels car. It's an ex-Corgi casting. Back in the early 1990s Mattel bought out Mettoy which was the makers of the iconic Corgi brand of diecast. So Mattel had acquired a bunch of old Corgi castings and released them as Hot Wheels cars for a brief amount of years in the late 90s. In fact most ex-Corgi castings were only released once such as the 300TD.
  For years I've been going to the local farmers market to look for this car from the various sellers who sell Hot Wheels cars. I've been fortunate to find other ex-Corgi cars that I've wanted. The Mercedes 300TD has always eluded me, until a few weeks ago. Ironically I didn't get the car at the farmers market, I got it in a Reddit trade.

  I am a Reddit member who is mostly active in the subreddit r/HotWheels. I've been fortunate enough to engage in several trades with other members there. Buying those non super Treasure Hunt cars have paid off so far. I'm very grateful for buying that Pink Cadillac Sixteen Regular Treasure Hunt car because it enabled me to get the Mercedes 300TD. I was originally trading the Cadillac Sixteen for the Matchbox Mercedes-Benz GLE Coupe. The other member asked if there was any other car I was looking for. So going out on a limb, I asked if he had the Mercedes 300TD. I was in luck, he had it. So we traded cars and I ended up with the Mercedes 300TD that I've wanted badly for years. It's such a quirky car. I love it because you can automatically tell it isn't a Hot Wheels design. Heck even it says on the carding, European Styling. This car is one of the most obscure Hot Wheels cars out there. Not because it's an ex Corgi car but because it is a station wagon. Many years ago Station Wagons just weren't popular in Hot Wheels form. Now they are getting quite popular. Now Hot Wheels has given us collectors many wagons in recent years such as a Chevelle Wagon and a Skyline Wagon. Will this 300TD make a comeback some day? I highly doubt it will ever see a mainline release ever again. So I'm glad I have this One Hit Wonder Hot Wheels car.

No comments:

Post a Comment