Sunday, September 1, 2019

Replacing my Dad's old Snap-on Wrench

  Back in the 1980s and 1990s my late father used to buy Snap-on Tools for his appliance repair business. However when my older brother took over my father's business, his van got broken into and all of the Snap-on Tools that my father gave him were stolen. Or were they? To tell you the truth, not all were stolen. You see there were a handful of tools that my father never gave to my brother for some reason. Somehow my father held on to them. I don't know how or why these never went to my brother. When my father got terminally ill, I decided to go into the garage and organize all of his tools into the tool chest. I knew he had some Snap-on stuff left and he never liked me to touch them since they were expensive. So I searched every tool box until I found all of the Snap-on tools that didn't go to my brother.
  These tools were nothing special, 4 wrenches, 2 ratcheting box wrenches, 4 screwdrivers, 3 chisels and some various Blue-Point tools. 2 of the wrenches I inherited was a 1/4-15/16" open end wrench and a 7/8-15/16" open end wrench. Both came from the six piece open end wrench set. The other 4 wrenches were stolen. So the one day I was looking at the VO810 1/4-15/16" wrench and noticed that the handle had a bend in the middle. So since I work at a Ford Dealership, I could get the VO810 warrantied for a new one. The Snap-on dealer comes every Friday. So I took it on the truck and asked him if this wrench looked bent. He looked at it and said it's bent. He asked me if I wanted a new one. I said yes. He asked me how it got bent, and I said tightening the bolt on the fence. Actually I think it got bent since my dad used it repairing something.
  So I waited 2 weeks for my new VO810B to come in and it is made better than my dad's old one. This wrench is thicker and heavier than the one made in the 80s. You can read the sizes on it better since they are not on the ends of the wrench anymore. The sizes are now on the handle. You could hardly make out what the sizes were on the old one. It also has a wider handle and there is a date code stamp on the handle. Somehow the one from 1982 lacked a date code for some reason.
  So in all due respect, I think my father is looking down from heaven, smiling at me for getting one of his Snap-on tools warrantied. He would love to see the new and improved version of his wrench. Even though I am not a mechanic I still like to go on the Snap-on truck since my I once went on one with my father when he had to get his magnetic hex shank replaced. I go on there to make my father proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment