Sunday, February 13, 2011

What's the Point in Replica TV and Movie Cars?

Re  Today when I was on my lunch break, I went to the mall to look around. I went into Kmart to see if they had any new WWE figures they didn't. So I looked at the Hot Wheels cars and saw the new Back to The Future Time Machine number 18 of 50 New Models. I bought 3 of them. One to open, and one to keep in the box and the other I sold to my friend. This lead me to think of the people in real life who ruin a perfectly good collector car and turn it into a replica. I've seen pictures before of DeLorean time machine replica's and I can tell you one thing. They are nerdy and make you look like a idiot.
  What is the point in owning a replica of a movie car? Is it the fact that the person who makes a replica is an attention seeker? Or is it the fact that they have to compensate for being a nerdy fanboy who still lives with his parents and never had a girlfriend? I tend to think that the both of these factors are to blame. What really annoys me on another mimicked replica is no other than the General Lee. Now here is what really grinds my gears. I love 1969 Dodge Chargers but I would never ruin such a great antique muscle car to make a replica General Lee. There are too many people out there who build replicas of the General Lee and they all ruined the 1969 Charger.
  Why make a replica when it is not going to be the original car that was used in the TV show or movie?
My guess is that you want to make your neighbor who owns a Rolls-Royce have a stroke due to the fact that a General Lee replica is classier than a Rolls-Royce.  Did I just say the General Lee is classier than a Rolls-Royce? That is the opposite from reality. In fact the General Lee is mostly associated with the redneck culture and the Rolls-Royce is associated with the classy wealthy. also nobody in their right mind would make a Rolls-Royce replica because they would get the pants sued off of them for trademark and copyright infringement.
Look 2 replica cars one over replicated and one that's not.
 My point here is that a replica of a TV or movie car is stupid and makes you look like a dork. I don't have that much free time on my hands to make a replica of the Wagon Queen Family Truckster because i have a job and go to college part time. It would be a great side project to build a replica of the Family Truckster but i don't own a Ford LTD Country Squire station wagon because there are not many of these things running around in my area. Now the Wagon Queen Family Truckster from National Lampoon's Vacation is one of the coolest movie cars that should be replicated because there aren't many replica's around.
   Anyone who has seen National Lampoon's Vacation remembers that the Family Truckster was a lemon. The engine knocked, when the car was turned off the engine was still running, it had a Hefty bag for an airbag, and lets not forget the oddly placed gas cap. In my opinion the car was cool. I love station wagons especially old ones that are like a bus. But that is not the point. Even my idea for making a replica of the Family Truckster is being a hypocrite but i have a soft side for Family Truckster replicas. My Problem is that people over replicate the Delorean Time Machine and the General Lee. If we come to think about it maybe it is time that we think about making replicas of the A-Team van or the Family Truckster. We should try to make something else for a change.

No comments:

Post a Comment