Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Lego Technic 8110 Mercedes-Benz Unimog U400 Review

  One of my Christmas presents last year was the Lego Technic 8110 Mercedes-Benz Unimog U400. This set is the largest Lego Technic set to date and is the most challenging Lego set I have ever done in my entire life. To give you an example of how challenging this set is, there are 5 instruction books for this set. Bag one takes up book 1-to midway book 3. That is just the chassis and that was a tough part to build. Now this set has a pneumatic crane that runs on a battery box that takes 6 AA batteries. Bag 2 is the orange cab. Bag 3 is the box. Lastly bag 4 is the crane and winch which is the second most challenging part of the model. I didn't start building this set until December 27th and didn't finish until January 23rd 2012. I took my time on it to make it last. I had to rebuild the chassis from the ground up due to a missed step.
  Now onto the review of the mechanism. I am still trying to learn the ropes on the crane operated. There is the backwards/forwards/off switch on the battery box and a red and a yellow switch that can be moved up/down/down/down/up/up/down/up for a combination of different settings for the crane There is also a red switch that controls the pneumatic mechanism that moves the crane up and down. On the crane are three levers that raise the claw arm up and down and open and release the claw. The winch is not motorized.
  I commend both Lego and Mercedes-Benz for partnering together to create this masterpiece. Please note that you need a lot of patience to build this set, It can get frustrating at times. An experienced Lego Builder can do it in a day but I chose to spread it out and take my time on it. I highly Recommend this set to the Lego enthusiast and anyone who likes a challenge.

1 comment:

  1. There is also a red switch that controls the pneumatic mechanism that moves the crane up and down. On the crane are three levers that raise the claw arm up and down and open and release the claw. The winch is not motorized. Bike releases

    ReplyDelete