Friday, January 21, 2011

The Pains Cereal Box Prizes

 When I was a kid I remember seeing a toy that came with the box of cereal. I would beg my mom to buy me the cereal she said I will buy it for you only if you will finish the box. Naturally I agreed to the deal. When I would go home from the store, the first thing I would do would rip open the box of cereal to get the toy out. Ironically its not the toy you hoped on getting.
   You see the problem with cereal box prizes that are promoting a new movie is that they don't mass produce the popular ones. I remember 10 years ago when Kellogg's had diving subs that were based on vehicles from Atlantis the Lost Empire. If I remember correctly there were 5 subs all together. There was the Leviathan, the fishy shaped one, and a crayfish shaped one. Then there were the Ulysses and the sub pod subs. Now the problem here was in my theory that the Atlantean shaped diving subs were produced in higher numbers than the submarine used by the expedition team. You would think that everyone wants the Ulysses one. Well guess what I was one of them who wanted it. I never got it. Damn Kellogg's makes more of the less popular toys so we have to suffer.
    Another problem with cereal box prizes is the chance of getting doubles of a prize. Back in 2004 I remember when General Mills was putting Hot Wheels cars in their cereals to promote the Cheerios NASCAR team and Richard Petty. Naturally Hot Wheels cars and anything related to Richard Petty means I have to have it. We bought the boxes of cereal and at first i started cars that I did not have. Then I started to get doubles. I kept getting that pesky 1970 Chex  Plymouth Barracuda Hardtop. I must of got like 3 of those bastards. I needed to collect all 10 cars. Until 2010 I had only 9 out of the 10 cars. I was missing the 1974 Dodge Charger in the Cheerios livery. I finally completed the set when I went to a party at my parents friends house when their grandson gave me the car because he never plays with it.
    I have since stopped going ape shit for Cereal box toys in 2009 when General Mills started using Lego for their NASCAR promos. I love Lego but the stuff in the cereal box isn't made by Lego. So Screw it and fuck cereal box toys. They are evil and a waste of money.

No comments:

Post a Comment