Tuesday, October 1, 2013

The Best Film Scores of All Time

  I am a huge film score buff. Film scores set the mood of the film and also capture the emotion of the characters and their surroundings in a film. So without a score, the film is just dry with talking and no music. Some movies don't have a score because it feels more realistic and dramatic. Anyway here is my list of the best Film Scores of all time.
1. The Molly Maguires by Henry Mancini. This film and it's epic score has a connection to my area because the movie was filmed around where I live. The score is one of those that captures the hardships of an Irish coal miner in Northeastern Pennsylvania during the 1870s, it also brings the surroundings to life when the mines are being sabotaged by the Molly Maguires. It is one of those scores that is truly underrated and should have been nominated for an Academy Award for best score.
2. The Social Network by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross. I knew off the bat that Trent Reznor would win the Academy Award for best score when it was announced he was scoring The Social Network. Not only did the industrial score capture the dark emotion that went into the founding of Facebook, it also was the perfect type of music for a film about computers and the internet.
3. The Brave Little Toaster by David Newman. This score is one of the many that defined my childhood. Not only would I hum the score sometimes throughout my day, I would know every part of it with a passion. Fortunately I am lucky enough to own the CD release of the soundtrack which is long out of print. It's supposedly one of David Newman's favorite scores he worked on and it's one of mine as well.
4. Far From Home: The Adventures of Yellow Dog by John Scott. This film was one of my favorites growing up as a child. The score was one of the best ever composed for a children's film. Not only does John Scott capture the emotion and mood of a teenager and his dog getting shipwrecked in British Columbia, it captures the emotion of their various dangerous encounters with the wildlife in the wilderness and the epic search and rescue music is one of my all time favorite score tracks of all time.
5. Midnight Express by Giorgio Moroder. This score is one of the best Academy Award for best Original score winners of all time. It was way ahead of it's time using synthesizers which pioneered the disco era of music. It also captured the dark and depressing mood of being an American locked up in a Turkish prison. This is one of those scores that paved the way for The Social Network to win best score.
6. Jaws by John Williams. Do I need to explain this one?
7. The Good The Bad and The Ugly by Ennio Morricone. I don't need to explain the best western score of al time do I?
8. Star Wars by John Williams. I don't need to explain this one.
9. Batman Forever by Elliot Goldenthal. As much as this film gets a bad rap from Batman fans alike, however I love the score, its one of the many I would hum everyday. The score is better than the film.
10. Jurassic Park by John Williams. If I have to explain this to you. I will facepalm myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment