Monday, August 15, 2011

Shooting The H&R 999 Sportsman

   Yesterday, when I went home from work, my Dad who was picking me up from work, asked me if I wanted to go to the shooting range with him. I said yes and we went to the shooting range. It has been 7 years since I last shot a gun at age 14. Now I am 21, and can legally own a handgun, but I don't own one yet because I am saving to buy a Colt Official Police. Now on to the Harrington & Richardson 999 Sportsman 9 shot .22LR revolver. This model is a second generation model that was produced from 1953 to 1973. This particular one was made from 1953 to around 1965 because my great uncle who owned this revolver before my father, died in 1965. I didn't look at the serial numbers, but from research on the internet, I could infer that this was a second generation model because it had a two piece handgrip. First generation ones had a one piece handgrip.
   The H&R 999 Sportsman is a top break revolver. Now my Dad only brought 100 rounds of .22LR ammo, he thought he brought more, but that was Ok. Now I saw a video on YouTube about the H&R 999 Sportsman, where the person doing the video said that if you accidentally bump the hammer when the gun is loaded it could go off. I'll dispute that because I bumped the hammer while it was loaded and it did not discharge. so there must be a transfer bar in the revolver.
    The first time I shot the H&R 999 Sportsman, was one handed in double action mode. My dad told me that when you shoot the gun in double action, the gun pulls to the right, so it is less accurate. I noticed that right away after I reeled in the target, because I didn't hit it at all. I reloaded the gun and this time, shot it in single action mode, and I hit the target pretty well. Now I would shoot some rounds in single action, and in double action with both hands so I had more control on the gun. I did a very good job shooting a gun for the second time. Now I know I still probably couldn't handle a .45.
    I actually liked the H&R 999 Sportsman. It is a very fun revolver to shoot. It is cheap to fire, because .22 ammo is pretty inexpensive compared to .45 ammo because my Dad says you get more rounds in a box of .22 ammo at 100 rounds compared to 50 rounds in a box of .45 ammo. My great uncle who once owned this gun, used this when he would go hunting. He wouldn't shoot a deer with it, but my Dad said he would take it with him in case he saw a snake or something, hence the need for a double action, so he could shoot it instantly without cocking the hammer. Now since my Dad inherited from my great aunt back in 2008 he doesn't care about the value I know these are inexpensive from research. If you are wondering why did my Dad get the gun in 2008 when my great uncle died in 1965, it was because my great aunt didn't want to give away her husbands guns because they were too sentimental to her. So there you have my experience shooting the H&R 999 Sportsman .22LR.

No comments:

Post a Comment