Friday, August 3, 2012

Hot Wheels New Models Rant

  Yesterday I went to Walmart and did my usual run to the toy dept. To my surprise I saw they put out some new Hot Wheels cars. The pegs were dry the last time I was there. So I looked to see what was new, and to my surprise the Subaru WRX STi was there but I was disappointed to find out it wasn't in the first color, blue, but red. So I bought it anyway because I like Subaru's along with 2 of The Dark Knight Rises The Bat, one to open and one to leave MIB, and one 2013 Dodge Viper SRT.
  Now what really pisses me off is that Mattel makes a run of the original color and then makes more later on in another color that is probably more widely available than the first color. If you are a New Models completest like myself, you probably want the original color that it debuted in instead of the variant repaint. This has happened to me about 3 times already in the last few years. It happened to me when the Toyota FJ40 came out. My store never got the wave with the yellow one so they got the one with the blue one. Then it happened twice this year, the first was with the Ford Falcon Race Car and now with the Subaru WRX STi. It's annoying that Mattel's horrible distribution is partially to blame for this nonsense. Who else to blame? Well I'm sure the design team had something to do with this as well.
Picard reacts to the DeLorean Repaint in Black
  Mattel has been making some questionable decisions when it comes to New Models repaints. For instance the 2010 New Models, DeLorean DMC-12 had been originally released in a color that looks like Stainless Steel, shortly after that came a repaint this time in gold which is understandable because there were 3 DeLorean DMC-12's that were painted in 24 Karat gold. Lastly they released a mind boggling repaint this time in Black. Were they on something when they thought this up?  They did this with another iconic car, the Buick Grand National by releasing a repaint in Maroon and the Dodge Lil Red Express in Purple.
  Are the people at Mattel who greenlight these stupid repaints on drugs? Seriously I'm sure they are thinking that the target demographic for Hot Wheels cars which is mostly kids wouldn't even notice the repaint isn't accurate. Well guess what Mattel, People do notice, it's the car enthusiast and Hot Wheels collector who do. I'm sure they don't care whatsoever what we think of these repaints. I sometimes like them and buy every New Model repaint. I do when there is a new Ford Mustang or Shelby Mustang in the New Models. I have a Hot Wheels Ford dealership playset and I think it is ok to buy one of each color to make it look like your dealership has some variety of inventory. For some reason I haven't bought every color of the Ford Boss Mustang Leguna SECA. Maybe because I am trying to cut back on my spending.
  Sometimes the repaints make sense and sometimes they don't. Modern repaints for cars make sense, ones of iconic cars do not make sense in the least bit. Sometimes the repaint is worth more money in the long run sometimes it isn't. Well there is my Hot Wheels rant. Stay tuned for more along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment