Monday, April 11, 2011

I Hate Radio Edits

  When I was listening to the radio in the car today, Alejandro by Lady Gaga came on, this was the song that got me hooked on Lady Gaga. Anyway I happened to notice that the intro was cut out of the song, when she says I know that we are young and that you may love me, but I just can't be with you like this, Alejandro was completely cut out. I felt like the song wasn't whole without the opening intro. Earlier today I was listening to The Fame Monster in the car, where the song is in its whole form and it definitely sounded better.
  I am not bashing Lady Gaga, I like her and her music. I am pointing out the stupidity of radio edits. Here's another example of how stupid radio edits can be. Take Cee Lo Green's song Fuck You. There are a couple of different edits of this song. The most common one is simply titled Forget You. There is another edited version that I heard on the radio, and also in the TV version for the music video, where instead of saying F*** You or Forget You, it is replaced with F You. This one makes a little more sense than Forget You. Another radio edit version that I have heard of F*** You, is where the word Fuck is completely silenced. You only hear (Bleep) You and (Bleep) Her too. This one makes a little bit more sense but is stupid also.
  This leads me to my next pet peeve, Nine Inch Nails' Closer radio edit. Now hearing Closer as a radio edit is really stupid censoring the verse I want to F**k you like an animal. That's the whole point to the song. Why censor the song? It totally ruins the song, while keeping it family friendly simultaneously. I love Nine Inch Nails as much as I do love Lady Gaga. But radio edits ruin the song for me to listen to it on the radio. That's why I like to listen to CD's in the car over the radio because you get to hear them as they were intended to be heard.
  Radio edits are really pointless. One question that I ask myself from time to time is Do radio edits exist for satellite radio? The answer for me is I really don't know because I don't think it is right to pay for radio. Another factor is that I don't have satellite radio. The two 2005 Subaru Outbacks that we own do not have satellite radio. I do remember renting a car 6 years ago that had satellite radio equipped and i vaguely recall hearing a rap station that had explicit lyrics. So censorship sucks. Butchering a good song makes it worse than it is in its original form.

No comments:

Post a Comment