Thursday, May 19, 2011

Why I Still Buy CDs

A Lady Gaga CD
  When was the last time you bought a CD. Seriously think about it. The answer for many of us is probably never if you got an iPod. Well I can tell you this, I still buy CDs all the time. I am buying the deluxe edition of Born This Way on Monday.
   Many people don't buy CDs anymore because they have an iPod or some type of MP3 player. The reason why I still buy CDs is partially the fact that I don't have an iPod. Why don't I have one? I don't have one due to the fact that I DESPISE Apple products. I think that they are overrated and are another thing to get broken inside of my pocket.
   The second reason I still buy CDs is the fact that I prefer a physical copy over a digital one. Why you ask? Well a physical copy of an album is always there, It can't be deleted or destroyed if something happens to your iPod or MP3 player.
    My third reason I still buy CDs is because I want to support the record store, which is a dying trend. The FYE in the Laurel Mall closed down in January 2011. I tend to support the local independent record stores over the big box ones. I rarely get to go out of town to shop at another FYE which is 28 miles from my house and with the price of gas it would be a waste if I didn't come back with a CD.
     Finally I still buy CDs because I am old school. I don't care about iPods or iPhones or Zunes or iTunes. All I care about is having a physical copy of an album. By the way did you know that Rhianna's new album Loud has a parental advisory label and that you can't buy the physical copy of Loud with the parental advisory label? You can only get the uncensored version digitally. I believe that this is giving people who buy CDs the middle finger.

1 comment:

  1. Let's not forget DVD-A and SACD. Do note that CDs are a digital format.
    Sometimes examples are given where digital downloads make things better, some of which I don't agree is better. For one it is claimed that record companies will no longer need to press discs, print booklets and inlay cards or put them in cases. And it is saind there is no need for warehousing.
    And it is belived there is no aftermarket. If you don't like something you bought, you just sold it. If you download it, you simple put it in the trash.
    As I said, I don't think that virtual media is really better in this respect. Can you provdie counter-examples where physical formats are better.

    ReplyDelete