Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Volunteers of America Thrift Store Review

  Today I had to go to a doctor appointment after my 8:00 class ended. So after my doctor appointment I had some time to kill before I could go home so I decided to check out this out of town thrift store. I never heard of Volunteers of America Thrift Stores before until today. I have to admit it was one of the worst thrift stores I have ever been in.
  Firstly the store had broken and ugly merchandise. I looked at some of the books and one that caught my eye looked like it was in excellent condition but upon further inspection the pages were falling out. Not a very good first impression is it? The books were located next to the toys which were a complete joke. All of the toys that were in the store were broken and or missing parts. in the toy section there was a bunch of elbow/knee pads and bicycle helmets that were in ratty condition. Not to mention there were about 3 scummy used hard hats. How's that for a turn off. I then proceeded to check out the media section which had tons of obsolete media formats, 8 track tapes, VHS and some crappy 12 inch vinyls which technically isn't an obsolete format. Now I checked the vinyls looking for bad album art and came across one that I believe was in Polish. I laughed and walked away. I then go looking for the hats. They did have hats but they were in somewhat ratty and the selection was lacking compared to others I have been in.
  Finally I went to look at the CDs which for some odd reason were in the front of the store. I think this had to do with theft prevention. The CDs were mixed in with computer games. Not very organized are they? I wasn't surprised that about 25% of the jewel cases were missing the front piece. One CD caught my eye. It was a score soundtrack for Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone by John Williams. I checked the CD for any scratches on it and what do you know, there were scratches on it. I put it back.
  This is one Thrift Store I won't come back to again.

No comments:

Post a Comment