Friday, November 2, 2012

I Hate it When DVDs are Released in Volumes

  One thing that really grinds my gears is when seasons of TV shows are released on DVD in volumes. I feel like you are getting completely ripped off when you buy a season of a TV show in volumes. For instance one of my favorite childhood TV shows, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers was recently released on DVD a few months ago. I didn't buy it because I outgrown the show and it wouldn't be the same watching them at 23 years old. I saw the DVD in Walmart and happened to notice that MMPR was Season 1 Volume 1. It had me thinking why wasn't the complete season released on DVD instead of releasing select episodes from the season.
  It makes no sense at all to release a TV show in Volumes. In some cases it does make sense. For instance, the classic TV show, Mystery Science Theater 3000 is released in volumes with four episodes in each volume. Why would they only release 4 episodes? Well since MST3K is longer than your typical TV show, due to showing movies plus host segments it brings the airtime from the typical 44 minute runtime to about 90 minutes, factor in the licensing for the movies they show brings out 4 episodes per volume. Not all of their movies are in the public domain.
  Another one of my favorite childhood TV shows, The Angry Beavers, was also released on DVD in volumes. Again I did not buy that either because I feel like you're getting ripped off by not getting the complete season. When a TV show is released on DVD in full seasons, you get your money's worth. When you get a TV show released in Volumes, you don't get your money's worth. I think that they release TV shows in volumes because they want to get as much money out of it as possible. Such as beating a dead horse that was popular during the 90s. They think the fans of the show are stupid and will buy it regardless no matter what the cost is. It's stupid and redundant to release a TV show in volumes. I for one will never succumb to buying a season of a TV show in Volumes. You can count on that,

No comments:

Post a Comment